Yale University Library's Food & Drink Policy is intended to preserve our library materials, computer equipment, and furnishings, and to maintain a pleasant and comfortable environment for our readers and staff. Your help in this effort is greatly appreciated.
Food will not be allowed in:
- Book stacks
- Study carrels
- Reading rooms
- Computer workstation areas
- Photocopier areas
- Special collections
- Any place posted "no food allowed"
Designated Food Areas:
For a list of designated areas click here.
Unless otherwise posted, non-alcoholic beverages in approved containers may be consumed in the library.
Approved containers include:
- Spill-proof mugs with secure lids and a drinking hole that can be closed
- Sports bottles with a drinking spout that can be closed
- Water in capped plastic water bottles
Containers that are not considered acceptable include:
- Open cups or mugs
- Aluminum cans
- Glass bottles
- Paper or Styrofoam cups with or without lids
- Readers not complying with these policies will be asked to take the food or drink to a designated food area.
- Unattended food in a "no food allowed" area will be discarded as will unattended drink in unapproved containers.
Please dispose of all trash properly.